Remember Me?

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]
Page 1 of 1 Skip to Page:
< Older | Newer >
Topic: New Guitar New song
Post #1 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Posted On: Feb. 02 2006, 12:09 AM
Zachmo

No avatar chosen

Group: Members

Member Rating: None

Well i finally got the guitar ive been working for for so long. The Martin DC-16RGTE. Its awesome n' such but i hit a problem when i record. I compressed this recording of Knock on Wood that i did. Whenever i do slap harmonics or strum loudly, my recording gets all fuzzy and muddy. At first i thought it was the volume so i turned it way down. But then my recording is too quiet. Any suggestions would be great. Heres the rough take on the song.
Knock on Wood
Contact Information:  Zachmo

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #2 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Feb. 02 2006, 1:44 AM
RichLum

Member Rating: None

If you have an outboard compressor before you go into your soundcard, that can help tame the peaks and also bring the quieter parts up a bit to be more audible.

Obviously will affect the sound so use judiciously and experiement a bit till you get a good balance between a nice sounding guitar and controllable levels.

HTH,
Rich
Contact Information:  RichLum

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #3
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Feb. 02 2006, 2:06 AM
DrGuitar

Member Rating: 4

Hey Zachmo....nice tunes. How are you recording the tunes? Are you using a microphone or just "plugin' in"? How are you compressing the signal? When I record practically anything, I always put the recording in "clean" with out any processing. Once it is in the computer, I process the signal anyway I like. The problem is that you have to be pretty precise with your original recording setting this way or you can end up with either distorted junk or a signal that is too low. Careful setting of the input volume should take care of any problems. Make sure that you do not peak past -3db during the loud strums or slaps.

Good luck

PS...

Nice guitar.  My best friend has the OOO size version of that same guitar.  I have the 000-15 (as you see in the avatar) the M-38, a backpacker and the newest addition is a 1920 Martin Style B mandolin (just this past weekend).
Contact Information:  DrGuitar

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
< Older | Newer >
2 replies since Feb. 02 2006, 12:09 AM
Page 1 of 1 Skip to Page:

© 2014 n-Track Software