Remember Me?

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]
Page 1 of 1 Skip to Page:
< Older | Newer >
Topic: Stay With Me, Finally recorded it after 25 years...
Post #1 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Posted On: May 27 2012, 4:57 AM
LazyRiver

No avatar chosen

Group: Members

Member Rating: None

I wrote this tune 25 years ago and made a crude recording of it back then doing overdubs using 2 Hi-Fi VCRs (for audio only) and then mastered it on cassette. I told myself someday that I would re-record this song but somehow never got around to it until recently. I have actually been using n-Track for several years to mix recordings for a band I am in but I kept putting this project off for some reason. Anyway, I finished it, copyrighted it and put it on a YouTube video with lyrics.

The instruments are midi using Ableton lite, then converted to wav and imported into n-Track where I added the vocals. Mic is an MXL V67. The video was made using Sony Vegas.

I hope you like it...

Let me know what you think (but be kind please, I am totally self-taught at production)

Here is the link...

http://youtu.be/sbZIfgni-LU

Contact Information:  LazyRiver

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #2 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: May 27 2012, 6:14 PM

Member Rating: 2.78

Hey LazyRiver!  Production seems just fine to me.  I'd like to have the vocal more on top, and I think the arrangement is too static.  I kept waiting for the drums to come in, some guitar, a sax, something.  probably just me!   :)  

If you are on Facebook, join our new n-Track users group!  
https://www.facebook.com/groups/419653994733706/
Contact Information:  TomS

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #3 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: May 27 2012, 7:31 PM
LazyRiver

No avatar chosen

Member Rating: None

Quote: (TomS @ May 27 2012, 11:14 AM)

Hey LazyRiver!  Production seems just fine to me.  I'd like to have the vocal more on top, and I think the arrangement is too static.  I kept waiting for the drums to come in, some guitar, a sax, something.  probably just me!   :)  

If you are on Facebook, join our new n-Track users group!  
https://www.facebook.com/groups/419653994733706/

Actually, I am in the band Lazy River  www.lazyriver.cc and on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lazy-River/320016734032 and we will be doing this song as a group. This is actually our first venture into doing anything in "the studio". Everything we have recorded so far has been live.

So far the only parts that you are hearing is the stuff that I can do, so the part that I have put on YouTube is not actually complete. You will notice that the "musical interlude" is not really a break yet. Our lead player will be putting a break there and at the intro as well as some fills throughout the song. There will be drums also that will build as the song progresses. I don't want to make it a "drum song" but I do want them to be more than bland. I am thinking something like the drums in Barry Manilow's Mandy (I know, I know!). I was surprised when I really listened to that song a while back at how much the drums are doing in there. I think that it is because of the way that they mixed them in that they can be powerful but not take over the song.

I am also thinking that I want a rhythm guitar going throughout the song but very subdued. I will be readjusting the vocals a bit too when the other instruments are there. As it is now the background vocals are pretty much at the same volume all the way through but I plan on having the Ahhs a bit lower and the background parts with words come out stronger for emphasis (not necessarily stronger than they currently are but in relation to the volume of the Ahhs).

I guess I should have stated earlier that the song was not really complete. The main thing that I wanted to accomplish was to get a good clean version of this song together and get it copyrighted, which I have now done. Hopefully I will have the rest of the band mixed in soon. It seems like there is always something keeping us from getting together lately as we all have full time jobs and lots of side obligations but I am sure we will finish it soon.

I really appreciate the feedback. I will check out the Facebook page.

Thanks,

John
Contact Information:  LazyRiver

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #4 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: May 27 2012, 8:03 PM

Member Rating: 2.78

Cool.  Keep us apprised.  One need not apologize for Barry Manilow.  One may not enjoy his music, but he is a master of his craft.   :)
Contact Information:  TomS

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #5
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: May 27 2012, 11:37 PM

Member Rating: 1.67

:agree:
Contact Information:  TonyR