Remember Me?

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]
Page 2 of 3 Skip to Page:
< Older | Newer >
Topic: Concert Tickets, Neil Young
Post #11 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Posted On: Aug. 27 2008, 4:25 PM
Diogenes
Former Member

Personally, I wouldn't give 5 bux to see him. The guy can't sing for love nor money... He wrote some good stuff and all... he just shoulda got someone else to sing 'em.

A while back I caught some TV show with Neil sitting at a piano and caterwauling... oy...

My personal subjective opinion, YMMV, etc, etc, why are my shoes untied again? Blah, blah, blah...

D
Contact Information:  Diogenes

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #12 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Aug. 27 2008, 7:26 PM
Former Member

Quote: (Diogenes @ Aug. 27 2008, 6:25 PM)

Personally, I wouldn't give 5 bux to see him. The guy can't sing for love nor money... He wrote some good stuff and all... he just shoulda got someone else to sing 'em.

:agree: Yup!
Contact Information:  Bruffie

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #13 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Aug. 28 2008, 2:07 PM

Group: Members

Member Rating: 1.08

Bill - thanks for thinking about me.  Yeah - I love Neil, but all of his stuff is not great.  I miss doing the Neil Young tribute thing but you can see the video's of the band on YouTube if you're interested - http://www.youtube.com/user/MECressey.  Cowgirl has over +10,000 views.  I still get comments every now & again from people all over the world.  But it's not me, it's Neil that gets 'em to watch the video's.

That was Greendale, by the way.  I saw it too and I thought it was great!  In fact, I was quite impressed that an old guy like Neil would attempt to put of such a big production.  Greendale was basically a musical play.  The back end up of the stage came up & down so sets could be changed.  Behind the stage was a large, LCD (or something) screen that was used for visual.  Neil did everyone's voice himself, so it had to be sync'ed, plus there were 30+ performers.  What's not to like about that?

Neil first album was great - produced by Ry Cooder.  I still have the vinyl.

Neil actually could quite sing for a short period back in the early - 70's - listen to the recent Massey Hall, recorded live in 1971.  Neil was dead on.  But yeah, you either like his voice or not.  I happen to love that voice, even when it's not so good.
Contact Information:  Mr Soul

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #14 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Aug. 28 2008, 3:19 PM
Diogenes
Former Member

Quote: 

But yeah, you either like his voice or not.  I happen to love that voice, even when it's not so good.

I'm a big Rush fan. I mostly dig them for their amazing musicianship. Many people can't stand Geddy Lee's singing. I like his singing... it "fits" somehow. It's a subjective thing that depends on the listeners taste and expectations. Funny how that stuff works isn't it?

Bob Dylan... after about two or three songs... eh... got to listen to something else for a while. Guy wrote some awesome tunes... but good grief... :p

D

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #15 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Aug. 28 2008, 3:46 PM

Member Rating: 1.21

I gotta do an errand.. I want to reply to this thread..  later..
Contact Information:  woxnerw

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #16 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Aug. 28 2008, 5:02 PM
Former Member

Neither Dylan or Neil Young are, or ever were, great singers. But the songs were classics. I really don't like Neil Youngs voice but 'Like a Hurricane' is one of my favourite songs.
Contact Information:  Bruffie

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #17 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Aug. 28 2008, 5:54 PM
Diogenes
Former Member

"All Along the Watchtower" Ever hear Dylan? YOWCH! :p  Hendrix version is one of my favorite songs of all time. Just shows to go you...

There again, while I'm not a big fan of re-makes, I absolutely LOVE SRV's rendition of "Voo-Doo Chile". He really did that song justice IMO.

D

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #18 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Aug. 28 2008, 6:39 PM

Member Rating: 1.08

Quote: 

Many people can't stand Geddy Lee's singing.

Yep - if he's the main singer of Rush, then I'm in this camp - can't stand his voice.  In fact, I didn't really like any of the vocals from most of those 70's band.

As I said, Neil's voice was good on After the Gold Rush, Massey Hall & Harvest but you still had to like it to appreciate it.

If we're talking singers, then it's hard to beat people like Sir Paul, Sting, Roger Daltry, even Robert Plant, or anyone in The Eagles, just to name a few.  Of course, I loved John Lennon's early vocals but I think he pretty much destroyed his vocal chords from smoking so much.

Dylan's voice was fine on his early stuff but it's completely gone now - witness his last couple of albums.
Contact Information:  Mr Soul

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #19 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Aug. 28 2008, 7:36 PM

Member Rating: 1.21

Hi sevenOfeleven, and All:

Speaking of tickets -
I dunno but $200 for going 10 mph over the speed limit

Did you get stung by a "BEAR".?  If you did, I feel sorry for you..  

Speeding tickets around here stay on your abstract for 2 years..  It's a "Four Point Infraction".. Speeding fins run around 300 - 400 loonies..  Dope Dealers don't get hit that hard.. You loose your driving privileges for a week..    If you get caught for the second time they force you to take a defensive driving course.. The course starts off at 75.00 and goes up from there depending on the infraction..

A real money grab..  In my opinion..  

Bill..

{EDIT]
  If you're talking songs..  Who in the Beetles did Hey Jude?   In a couple hundred years from now, I wonder how the Beetles will be covered by the Historians??   There's no depth to that song..  in my opinion..  of course..    BUT..  It was recorded by the Beetles..  Then there was Yellow Submarine..  AND..  You'd think I was a Beetle Fan..  

Sir Paul and the EX have settled..  I think..  What is he worth ????     a half a Billion Bushy Dollars?  Does anyone really know.., ????

Entertainers are worth as much as the Record and Concert Paying public and Fans are will to pay for their craft..

BoY..  Ain't Music a tough business to be in..
Contact Information:  woxnerw

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #20
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Aug. 28 2008, 7:44 PM
sevenOfeleven

No avatar chosen

Member Rating: 5