I use an Athlon XP 8 [22.86%]
I use an Athlon 64 0 [0.00%]
I use an Athlon X2 CPU 0 [0.00%]
I don't know what is in my machine 0 [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 3 Skip to Page:
< Older | Newer >
Topic: Is it the CPU?, N-Track and your CPU
Post #1 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 7:07 AM
DrGuitar

Group: Members

Member Rating: 4

There have been a rash of N-Track instability complaints lately.  I have also noticed that everyone with problems that I have read uses Intel processors in the problem machine.  Is this really the case?  Are there people with AMD processors having problems with N-Track instability?

If you are having stability problems with N-Track, please respond to the poll.  If you are not, do not respond or you will skew the results.
Contact Information:  DrGuitar

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #2 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 7:32 AM
StuH

No avatar chosen

Member Rating: None

I thinks it's from those integrated audio chipsets. I've noticed at least 4 people including myself that have Realtek AC97 audio chips and are having problems. I am 100% positive that if you set your audio devices for your secondary pro audio cards as the default device in recording, playback and midi and then make sure your secondary card is fully enabled in the audio control panel (hardware devices/properties) that the problem will go away. My two cents and I'm sticking to it.

And I screwed up I have an Athelon 64
Contact Information:  StuH

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #3 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 8:21 AM
X-track

No avatar chosen

P4 on the computer I tested 4.x on, but Im using an athlon XP in my 3.3 machine I've been using for a long time now.

I think this is a very good thing to discuss, I noticed a similiar thing when looking through back threads. "general instability" seems to be very closely correlated to using intel processors and/or asus motherboards. At least the majority seem to be leaning in that direction.

Very good observation! :D :laugh:
Contact Information:  X-track

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #4 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 9:46 AM
KingFish

Perhaps you should have another poll relating to systems not having problems to compare with this one or your results won't mean much.

For the record, I'm using a Celeron 1.2 - 512megs - Onboard Intel Video - Useless piece of junk running XP sp2 and the latest beta build with ZERO stability problems.
Contact Information:  KingFish

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #5 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 1:50 PM
tspringer

Member Rating: 5

For me, ntrack is stable on a Penium M processor running on a Dell M70 precision laptop computer.

A couple of points concerning your question:

People will have different things in mind when you ask if a system is stable. Do you mean 'doesn't crash when running without plug-ins' or 'doesn't crash when running with plug-ins' or 'doesn't glitch with plug ins' or whatever.

When I say stable, I mean 'doesn't crash when running with a reasonable number et of proven (by me on my system) plug-ins.' I've not seen a multitracker yet that you can't crash with plug-ins unless you are picky about how many and which ones you use. It takes lots of time to find the subset of plugins that will work and get the system configured properly.  One of the reasons ntrack 'seems' to be unstable is that you have a lot of casual users (like me) who haven't spent the time to get everything straightened out.  Also, once the system is working you have to be limit changes if you want it to remain stable.

Tim
Contact Information:  tspringer

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #6 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 1:52 PM
tspringer

Ooops...

the sentence should read 'When I say stable, I mean 'doesn't crash when running with a reasonable number of proven plug-ins (i.e. plug-ins tested by me on my system).'
Contact Information:  tspringer

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #7 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 3:58 PM
sticknick

I traded my AthlonXP for a P4 in late December.

I will be moving to an Athlon64 (or maybe an X2, not sure just yet) sometime at the end of the summer - the mobo is already on it's way  :)

The onboard sound on the board I am getting is nForce and I have *never* had any problems with their sound. In fact, for OB, it's quite impressive.

When it comes to my current issues, I am also starting to look at the actual chipsets themselves. My P4 board has an SiS chipset and they have never been classified as the most reliable - makes me wonder why the #### I stuck with this board...

hmmmmmm.
Contact Information:  sticknick

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #8 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 4:08 PM
Bubbagump

Member Rating: 1.34

N has worked for me on a PII, Athlon 1800, and P4 with no problems. The problems I did have on the Athlon were from crappy early drivers for the  VIA KT266A chip set. Once VIA got their stuff together, the Athlon was solid.
Contact Information:  Bubbagump

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #9 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 5:12 PM
learjeff

What about Centrino?  Or is that P3/PM?  While I agree the architectures are similar, they're not quite in the same class.  Regardless, I don't think the CPU is much of an issue (I've used P3, P4, and Centrino) but MOBO is.
Contact Information:  learjeff

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #10
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 03 2006, 7:13 PM
jsmyers24151

Quote (X-track @ April 03 2006,01:21)
P4 on the computer I tested 4.x on, but Im using an athlon XP in my 3.3 machine I've been using for a long time now.

I think this is a very good thing to discuss, I noticed a similiar thing when looking through back threads. "general instability" seems to be very closely correlated to using intel processors and/or asus motherboards. At least the majority seem to be leaning in that direction.

Very good observation! :D :laugh:

Then I guess I'm doubly screwed. I have ans ASUS board with a Celeron processor.

Hey, you buy what you can afford. :p

Jeff
Contact Information:  jsmyers24151

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
< Older | Newer >
27 replies since Apr. 03 2006, 7:07 AM
Page 1 of 3 Skip to Page:

© 2014 n-Track Software