Remember Me?

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]
Page 1 of 3 Skip to Page:
< Older | Newer >
Topic: Flavio is GREAT!
Post #1 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Posted On: Apr. 01 2006, 11:22 PM
random_id

No avatar chosen

Group: Members

Member Rating: None

I just want to say that Flavio is great.
I had a problem with the last couple of beta builds installing correctly under Windows 2K.
I sent him an email, and 24 hours later it is fixed.
Contact Information:  random_id

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #2 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 02 2006, 12:41 AM
sticknick

Quote (random_id @ April 01 2006,15:22)
I just want to say that Flavio is great.
I had a problem with the last couple of beta builds installing correctly under Windows 2K.
I sent him an email, and 24 hours later it is fixed.

Nice.

I've been waiting for nearly 4 days for a reply from him regarding why n-Track (ANY version) won't run for more than 5 mintues before blowing up.
Contact Information:  sticknick

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #3 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 02 2006, 3:06 AM
X-track

No avatar chosen

Flavio would be great if the problem didn't occur in the first place. He's just a regular joe for responding to most emails.

It's a bit tiring to hear the constant "well, no software always works on any computers, it's the computers fault!". Funny how many other softwares, audio and not, rarely experience such computer specific issues that completely stop the use of their software.

Ok, steam is gone, thanks :p
Contact Information:  X-track

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #4 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 02 2006, 6:20 AM
guitars69

No avatar chosen

x-track, get over it.  

You expect a perfect program and name countless companies who have produced such software... here's a little hint for you... Flavio did all this himself (with the exception of some freelance help from others that occured recently).

He's NOT some major name company that has a group of people problem solving and doing programming and customer service.  The program cost $75.  You want the rock solid performance of other stuff.  GO GET IT!!!  and pay at least twice as much, and be prepared to fix their problems too, cause nothing is perfect.

N-track offers a great value for the money.  Yes, there are glitches sometimes, most of which can be resolved simply by resetting the default preferences.  Others are more tricky, but there are millions of combinations between hardware, plugins, and drivers.  

so quit being a dick about it and grow up.
Contact Information:  guitars69

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #5 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 02 2006, 6:50 AM
X-track

No avatar chosen

Thank you for the positive response. That's what makes this forum so great ???

Do we need a list of all the other softwares maintained by a single person that are able to perform consistantly and stabley at a lower price (let's say free) than n-track? There are many, and most of them work on more than just windows and have a significantly larger userbase than n-track.

I am a HAPPY n-track 3.3 user, but I do not feel the need to rationalize my purchase constantly in the face of many glaring problems (with newer versions). I do feel the need on the other hand to vent my frustration with the "blame the user" mentality on the forum, a forum for software which seems to be unusually touchy about what machine it is running on.

I dont think the right mindset to help push the improvement of n-track is "Let's figure out how to make my computer with with n-track". If you care about the program, the correct mindset is "Let's figure out how to make n-track work on these computers.

I am trying to be reasonable and polite. :D

p.s. I dont think n-track is a one person operation anymore. There have been job listings here, and many of the included plugins are 3rd party plugins in the new version.
Contact Information:  X-track

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #6 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 02 2006, 7:49 AM
Willy

No avatar chosen

p.s. I dont think n-track is a one person operation anymore. There have been job listings here, and many of the included plugins are 3rd party plugins in the new version.
Judging by the plugs used though, I think Flav might have a contra deal with the guy how made that plug - ie, "hey your plugs are free, how about I get them out there in my recording program?" - or maybe not, that might just be me.

Willy.
Contact Information:  Willy

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #7 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 02 2006, 8:46 AM
StuH

No avatar chosen

Quote (Willy @ April 01 2006,23:49)
Judging by the plugs used though, I think Flav might have a contra deal with the guy how made that plug - ie, "hey your plugs are free, how about I get them out there in my recording program?" - or maybe not, that might just be me.

Willy.

That drum step sequencer is a real nice addition. Wonder if we will see more goodies up the road?? Maybe they will gut it and turn it into a mini FL studio or am I smoking too much herb?
Contact Information:  StuH

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #8 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 02 2006, 9:07 AM
sticknick

Whether one guy made it, ten guys made it or a big-wig company makes it there should be no excuse for lack of stability.

No matter your computer configuration, the basics should work.

I can install n-Track but no matter what configuration I use it crashes.

ASIO: Crash.
WDM: Crash.
MME: Crash.
USB Soundcard: Crash.
PCI Soundcard: Crash.
New drivers, old drivers; with plugins, without plugins; buffers low, buffers high; PC, laptop...

... think best picture 2006.

I mean, I even did a fresh install of Windows with nothing installed but n-Track and it still blew up!

The sheer frustration I have been going through for the past few weeks is angering. I don't give a rats a.s.s if I pay $1000 for a program or $40 for a program, it should at least WORK regardless of what setup I have. I would rather deal with stupid bugs along the lines of something like: "the VU meters show up in black and white if i send a reverb effect to AUX 1 on the master channel" than having the app blow up two minutes after I start up the program.

If the forums are any indication, then stability seems to be the major problem with this program. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stop adding new features and work on nothing but the stability.

This afternoon I downloaded the Demo of Adobe Audition and lo and behold, I managed to record tracks. I can't save them or do anything major with them because it's a demo but the simple fact that after spending two weeks trying to get n-Track to RUN I was completely happy that I could record for three straight hours without the app melting down like a Russian reactor.

guitars69 said: "You want the rock solid performance of other stuff. GO GET IT!!!"

Well lemme tell you, if I don't hear anything from Flavio come the 7 day anniversary of my support email, then I will happily shell out the $300 for Audition and wipe my hands of n-Track.

A shame becuase I like supporting the underdog. But what can you do? I need to record music, not fight with my multitrack program of choice.
Contact Information:  sticknick

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #9 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 02 2006, 2:44 PM
Nils K

I can install n-Track but no matter what configuration I use it crashes.

ASIO: Crash.
WDM: Crash.
MME: Crash.
USB Soundcard: Crash.
PCI Soundcard: Crash.
New drivers, old drivers; with plugins, without plugins; buffers low, buffers high; PC, laptop...

... think best picture 2006.

I mean, I even did a fresh install of Windows with nothing installed but n-Track and it still blew up!

How come n-Track works - rock solid BTW - on so many other DAW's out there, including mine?!?

I do have issues, that's right, but after about a week or so exploring out the Cubase LE that came bundled with my soundcard, I still prefer n-Track.

I run a ASUS-based 3 GHz P-IV system with SATA disks, 2 Gig of RAM, EMU 1820 soundcard, Win XP Pro and ASIO drivers for both cu and n. Here are my my findings so far:

ASIO performance: both cu & n solid as a rock. Both waver and get the hiccups if I use too many ressources (opening the EMU mixer during playback, adjusting a plugin during playback, probably a buffer setting issue)

Mixdown: n wins, big time. Much, much easier to do in this environment. cu is an awkward and complicated (albeit logic) beast when it comes down to such a simple task. For instance, you need to have four windows open at the same time if you want to readjust something plugged in on an aux channel.

Recording: Almost equal - same performance when recording multiple tracks, but n is a lot easier to set up and get running in no time. cu has some peculiar defaults - for instance, it puts any selected track into record ready mode, making it necessary to turn it off if it is not the reason you selected that track.

Rendering: n has an edge here - there sure is a lot of possible settings to choose from. cu comes out about average (actually reminds me of n version 2.x - how many out there still remember that one?)

User interface: I like the style of n, although cu tries to underplay a bit in order to have a more 'serious', cool, blue-gray look. One thing I miss in n is the ability to let the mixer size and style follow the project - some kind of "save mixer style and size with the project"-feature would be nice. However, I'm off-topic...

Shortcuts: n wins again. Much more intuitive and easy to use. Probably it is just my five to seven years with n and two weeks with cu that has be biased here.

VSTi rendering: n has problems with a lot of different VST instruments, cu 'just' renders/plays them... I know a lot of plugin instruments - even professional, expensive ones - have nonstandard implementations of the VST interface according to the standard, but still there are problems with n that aren't there when trying out excactly the same thing in cu. cu just seems more 'tolerant' towards plugin instruments speaking a peculiar VST dialect than n in my experience. Some work still needs to be done on n in that respect. At least I know that this will eventually be attended to by Flavio et al., probably at no extra cost whatsoever. the LE version of cu isn't supported/updated at all, and only standard questions are answered by the staff at Steinberg, i.e. if you have a reproducible problem, go buy the full version (and hope for the best regarding the problem being solved there!) - some gloomy prospect, if you ask me.

It does boil down to the old question about price vs. quality - I think we get a very high value for money with n, and certainly more value for money than some of us out here deserve...

Long live n-Track! (I'll keep that Cubase LE just for good measure(!))

regards, Nils
Contact Information:  Nils K

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #10
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Apr. 02 2006, 3:19 PM
Willy

No avatar chosen

(actually reminds me of n version 2.x - how many out there still remember that one?)
Actually, I prefered the look of 2.x to 3.
Contact Information:  Willy

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
< Older | Newer >
27 replies since Apr. 01 2006, 11:22 PM
Page 1 of 3 Skip to Page:

© 2014 n-Track Software