Remember Me?

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]
Page 1 of 3 Skip to Page:
< Older | Newer >
Topic: Pop Filter, Needing a good free pop filter
Post #1 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Posted On: Jun. 02 2011, 4:52 PM
theinfamousfish

Group: Members

Member Rating: None

Hey guys,

Long time no post! Anyway, I'm back to using n-Track, but not for music now days. I'm doing voice over editing (my own voice, if you can believe it) for my work's online training classes. Well, I've got the old Classic filters setup (can't hardly beat them!), but I'm also needing a decent pop filter (free). We don't really get decent equipment to record, so it's almost impossible to get recordings that are free of constanant pops.

Anyone have a suggestion of a decent pop filter?

-Fish
Contact Information:  theinfamousfish

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #2 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Jun. 02 2011, 6:06 PM

No avatar chosen

Member Rating: 1.47

I don't have any software suggestions, however. I have found that I get the best results if I stop the "pops" before they are recorded.  An embroidery hoop with a good quality panty hose stretched over it makes a pretty good pop filter.
Contact Information:  bax3

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #3 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Jun. 02 2011, 6:15 PM
theinfamousfish

Member Rating: None

Yeah, thanks Bax. Unfortunately, at work, we have no real place to record, other than whatever empty conference room we can find. Unideal is an extreme understatement. So, I can't really setup a physical pop filter. :(
Contact Information:  theinfamousfish

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #4 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Jun. 02 2011, 8:11 PM
dontcare

Member Rating: 1.32

more gain on the preamp and keep the source further away from the mic, overhead condenser or room mic set up.

other than that a de-esser and a 16 band knotch filter if the pops are on a frequency that can be cut without a greater loss of sound from the source?

dontcare
Contact Information:  dontcare

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #5 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Jun. 03 2011, 5:01 PM
Bubbagump

Member Rating: 1.34

Quote: (theinfamousfish @ Jun. 02 2011, 9:52 AM)

Hey guys,

Long time no post! Anyway, I'm back to using n-Track, but not for music now days. I'm doing voice over editing (my own voice, if you can believe it) for my work's online training classes. Well, I've got the old Classic filters setup (can't hardly beat them!), but I'm also needing a decent pop filter (free). We don't really get decent equipment to record, so it's almost impossible to get recordings that are free of constanant pops.

Anyone have a suggestion of a decent pop filter?

-Fish

They are like $12... you'll waste more time and spend more cash on a DIY project. Time is money etc etc.
Contact Information:  Bubbagump

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #6 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Jun. 03 2011, 6:33 PM
dontcare

Member Rating: 1.32

HEy bubba

he seems to be indicating in post 3 he can't set up a physical pop filter, kinda strange..

You know Fish, I have a mic (Beyerdynamic condenser) that has a built in pop filter, but not willing to part with it, if you were interested in purchasing one I could give you a model name #.

dontcare
Contact Information:  dontcare

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #7 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Jun. 03 2011, 7:05 PM

No avatar chosen

Member Rating: 1.47

Well, as another way to physically stop pops is with one of those "sponge rubber" covers that come with some mics - mostly dynamic mics  I think.  I think they are advertised as helping with "wind", but they can help with pops as well -although they do change the sound some.  Personally, even in limited space with a need to tear it down every time, I'd still go for a pop filter. One could be attached to even a table mic stand - and you can buy some that are not too expensive (as apposed to making one).  I know you have ruled this out, but it really is the best solution for the situation.  I have never found a plug-in that did a good job of reducing pops satisfactorily.  I have gone in and used volume envelopes to turn down the energy on pops that got away from me in recording, you can eq that way too to help things.  Sort of a pain, but if there are not too many and you really want to save the take it can be done.  I have Sound Forge 10 and they have some Plug-ins that are suppose to fix pops, but I personally feel they change more than the pop.  Sorry if this does not help, but I am apparently opinionated . . . .  and stubborn . . . . but I don't intend to be insulting.
Bax
Contact Information:  bax3

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #8 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Jun. 03 2011, 7:11 PM
Bubbagump

Member Rating: 1.34

Quote: (dontcare @ Jun. 03 2011, 11:33 AM)

HEy bubba

he seems to be indicating in post 3 he can't set up a physical pop filter, kinda strange..

You know Fish, I have a mic (Beyerdynamic condenser) that has a built in pop filter, but not willing to part with it, if you were interested in purchasing one I could give you a model name #.

dontcare

I saw that... but if you can setup a mic, you can setup a pop filter.... unless you are operating out of a coffin.
Contact Information:  Bubbagump

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #9 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Jun. 03 2011, 10:07 PM
TonyR

Member Rating: 1.67

Contact Information:  TonyR

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #10
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Jun. 03 2011, 10:50 PM

Member Rating: 2.78

I just leave the pop filter on the mic stand when I set up for our middle school club.  You guys would be appalled at the noise in the room, too.  Lots of computer routers whirring away...
Contact Information:  TomS

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
< Older | Newer >
23 replies since Jun. 02 2011, 4:52 PM
Page 1 of 3 Skip to Page:

© 2014 n-Track Software