Remember Me?

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]
Page 2 of 6 Skip to Page:
< Older | Newer >
Topic: MIDI_0, WANTED FORMAT ADDITION!
Post #11 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Posted On: Oct. 21 2010, 4:11 PM
Unblown_Jonson
Former Member

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 20 2010, 1:20 PM)

Hey haters, try getting that done over at Reaper! lol

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

What the hell for? It's already there since ummm... FOREVER... sonny.

Don't even try comparing development of n to Reaper. That's like comparing a '73 Vega to a Lamborghini Diablo...

If n works for you, have fun, enjoy... but it is by no means in the same DAW upper class as Reaper. Sorry Charlie... truth. Oh yeah... Reaper costs less. I don't 'hate' nuttin'... cept ingnorance... You figure it out.

:D

UJ

PS I'ma pick one now...

Contact Information:  Unblown_Jonson

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #12 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Oct. 22 2010, 9:01 PM
jeremysdemo
Former Member

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Oct. 21 2010, 9:11 AM)

If n works for you, have fun, enjoy... but it is by no means in the same DAW upper class as Reaper. Sorry Charlie... truth. Oh yeah... Reaper costs less. I don't 'hate' nuttin'... cept ingnorance... You figure it out.

Reaper is a relatively new kid on the block,(2006) give them ten years and see where the price is, if it stays relative to inflation.

I purchased Ntrack in 98 for $35,
when I go click the Ntrack 6x icon on the front page and go to paypal it says $34. (I don't know if that is the current price)

Reapers current price is,

Quote: 

$150 full / $40 discounted Free upgrades through REAPER 4.99

The planned price for Reaper 4.0 is:

Quote: 

$225 full /(commercial) $60 discounted

Ntrack makes no higher price for commercial use.

You got to read the fine print.
Quote: 

Please download and evaluate REAPER fully before purchasing; all purchases are final.

Ntrack allows 30 refund if you are not happy with the paid version.

Dispelling ignorance, by all means do.

Me not saying Reaper bad Ntrack good they both seem good to me...but then again I'm not going over to the Reaper forums bashing reaper and praising Ntrack.

If you have a personal experience like this where the developers of Reaper put something exclusive in the program on your request by all means share it and I will be happy to recant my statement with sincerest apology to them and you.

keep shinin

Contact Information:  jeremysdemo

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #13 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Oct. 23 2010, 3:48 AM
Unblown_Jonson
Former Member

Quote: 

You got to read the fine print.

Uh-huh... you go back and read the fine print junior. If it ain't obvious, maybe there's a reading comprehension issue?

Quote: 

Dispelling ignorance, by all means do.

Hayull far! I can't keep it up mang... Pretty soon I'll be here by myself! LOL

UJ

PS I'm Venus Bound Bayyybayyyy... I'ma building me a rockit sheeyup...

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #14 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Oct. 23 2010, 8:28 AM
jeremysdemo
Former Member

brilliant rebuttal.... :laugh:

keep shinin

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #15 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Oct. 25 2010, 6:39 PM
TomS

Group: Members

Member Rating: 2.78

Not to be thick, but how exactly do the two midi things differ? I've done the importing and exporting thing, and never noticed anything about this.  Anyway, it's in the software now.   :)
Contact Information:  TomS

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #16 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Oct. 25 2010, 6:47 PM
jeremysdemo
Former Member

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 25 2010, 11:39 AM)

Not to be thick, but how exactly do the two midi things differ? I've done the importing and exporting thing, and never noticed anything about this.  Anyway, it's in the software now.   :)

cool...time to upgrade!  :) FLav said it would be in 6.1.1

Honestly Tom I don't know what the difference is...
I just know the GNX4 and a few other sequencers only play one format and MIDI_1 ain't it.

When you open them up in any editor they pretty much look the same (except for the layout of the editor) in either format as well as they should they are the exact same midi file,....

in the immortal words of that smart kid from Jersey...it's all the same, only the names have changed, everything seems it's wasting away...

keep shinin

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #17 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Oct. 25 2010, 7:43 PM
bax3

No avatar chosen

Member Rating: 1.47

this is what answer.com has to say:
"A Format 0 file (Midi 0) contains a single track and represents a single song performance. Format 1 (Midi 1) may contain any number of tracks, enabling preservation of the sequencer track structure, and also represents a single song performance. Format 2 (Midi 2) may have any number of tracks, each representing a separate song performance.

==JSNL==
In general a MIDI file can contain 16 channels, which can each contain one or more tracks.
For instance, drums are by default recorded using channel 10.
Now you can put all drumparts on one track, but you can also make separate tracks for each drum instrument, like bassdrum, snare, hi-hat, hi-tom, lo-tom, crash, etc. This might come in handy if you want to edit the track later on.
Each of these drumtracks will be appointed to channel 10.

Now if you save file this to format midi1, all tracks will be saved separately, although they are on the same channel.

If you save the same file to format midi0 however, all tracks that are on the same channel will be merged into one single track.

Midi2 is not a fileformat, but an extension to the GM standard, and is actually called General MIDI 2
Contact Information:  bax3

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #18 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Oct. 25 2010, 8:08 PM
TonyR

Member Rating: 1.67

Great news for shuttling single midi tracks around.
Contact Information:  TonyR

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #19 Skip to the next post in this topic.
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Oct. 25 2010, 8:41 PM
jeremysdemo
Former Member

Quote: (bax3 @ Oct. 25 2010, 12:43 PM)

this is what answer.com has to say:
"A Format 0 file (Midi 0) contains a single track and represents a single song performance. Format 1 (Midi 1) may contain any number of tracks, enabling preservation of the sequencer track structure, and also represents a single song performance. Format 2 (Midi 2) may have any number of tracks, each representing a separate song performance.

==JSNL==
In general a MIDI file can contain 16 channels, which can each contain one or more tracks.
For instance, drums are by default recorded using channel 10.
Now you can put all drumparts on one track, but you can also make separate tracks for each drum instrument, like bassdrum, snare, hi-hat, hi-tom, lo-tom, crash, etc. This might come in handy if you want to edit the track later on.
Each of these drumtracks will be appointed to channel 10.

Now if you save file this to format midi1, all tracks will be saved separately, although they are on the same channel.

If you save the same file to format midi0 however, all tracks that are on the same channel will be merged into one single track.

Midi2 is not a fileformat, but an extension to the GM standard, and is actually called General MIDI 2

I don't know how correct that wiki is.

I would however like to know how my device (GNX4) is playing various instruments from various tracks (drums on channel 10, bass on channel 5 and various other data being sent only on particular channels etc etc) if they are all on one track.

IS there a way to have multiple channels on one track?

And when I bring them back into Ntrack out of the Midi_0 format all the instruments are still on their respective tracks and channels (not one track or channel for all of them) there has to be some way the channels are still keeping there respective data....since I have so many sysEx data's and program changes being sent if they were going to a single channel all kinds of wrong things would be happening to the wrong devices.

keep shinin

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
Post #20
Skip to the previous post in this topic. Posted On: Oct. 25 2010, 8:46 PM
Unblown_Jonson
Former Member

If you goobs promise not to blast my azz for mentioning it...

A real handy feature in that OTHER DAW (rhymes with Keeper) ... When you import a MIDI file (from the dialog box OR drag-n-drop) it auto-detects the format and prompts the user for whut to do. Sometimes it's handy to split a MIDI Type 1 file into separate tracks on the time line. Maybe you just want the drums or bass or whatever. Why clutter up your screen with extra junk you don't want/need. Let it split it for you, delete the tracks you don't want.

It would be a worthy addition here I think.

UJ

• AOL  AOL:
  • ICQ  ICQ:
  • MSN  MSN:
  • YIM  Yahoo:
WEB  
< Older | Newer >
54 replies since Oct. 19 2010, 3:58 AM
Page 2 of 6 Skip to Page:

© 2014 n-Track Software